Tuesday, June 16, 2009

South Carolina gets in-state QB commitment



Dylan Thompson came to South Carolina’s football camp Sunday with one scholarship offer, from Furman.

After an impressive showing and a half-hour visit with coach Steve Spurrier, he left Monday afternoon as a future Gamecock.

Thompson, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound quarterback from Boiling Springs (S.C.) High, committed to South Carolina during his visit.

“I worked out hard and it seemed like coach Spurrier liked me a lot,” Thompson said this morning. “Everybody was just so energetic there, and their fans are very knowledgeable; a lot of people seemed to know my name. In my heart, I knew it was the place for me.”

Thompson said Spurrier would prefer him to redshirt during his freshman year, and he agrees.

“Just give me time to settle in to college life and get bigger, stronger, faster,” Thompson said.

In seven games as a junior, Thompson totaled 1,200 passing yards and 13 TDs, while also running for almost 400 yards and five touchdowns.

South Carolina has had problems at the QB position, but Thompson, along with fellow quarterback recruit Conner Shaw of Flowery Branch, Ga., will get a chance to remedy that.--Stan Olson

No comments: