Monday, June 15, 2009

Cofield "100 percent committed" to Duke

I just talked with Tarboro High offensive lineman Takoby Cofield and he said his commitment to Duke’s Class of 2010 is rock-solid.

“I’m 100 percent committed,” he said, adding that he made up his mind after visiting the Durham school Saturday. “After this past weekend, I decided I just couldn’t pass this opportunity up.”

He also had official offers from East Carolina and Wake Forest, with the promise of many others should he attend their summer camps.

And no wonder; Cofield says he’s now a legitimate 6-foot-5 and 290 pounds, big enough that the Blue Devils plan to start him out at left tackle. He, like so many linemen, will likely be redshirted as a freshman.

“It’s been crazy,” he said of today. “It seems like all of a sudden a million people know my name. I’m getting all these emails, and my Facebook page has been blowing up.

Cofield really likes the fact that Duke is now recruiting hard in North Carolina, not just plucking sleepers from around the country.

“They’re not just going after guys in California, Canada, Rhode Island, New York,” he said. “They told me they think they need to win with guys from in-state, guys from home.”

Cofield, who said offensive coordinator Matt Luke and Marion Hobby, his primary recruiter, “seem like extended family,” wants to be a part of that.

--Stan Olson

1 comment:

MichaelProcton said...

Scout listed an offer from Virginia Tech for him. Impressive get. Looks like Cut is finally helping Duke compete with the big boys.