Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Out-of-state players pick Gamecocks, Tigers

South Carolina has added two more players to its 2010 class, both from beyond the Carolinas. Clemson has picked up an out-of-state commitment of its own.

South Carolina landed OL Ronald Patrick of Cocoa (Fla.) High. He committed after attending the school’s summer camp last week.

Patrick, who also had offers from East Carolina, Middle Tennessee, New Mexico and Kentucky, called Gamecocks OL line coach Eric Wolford and accepted.

“I told him I'm ready to be a Gamecock," Patrick said. “He was very excited. I liked them. My family liked them. My coaches liked them. It's in a great area and I was ready to do something special.”

At 6-1 and 268 pounds, Patrick is expected to play guard or center.

*Also, Brison Williams, a 6-foot, 180-pound DB from Warner Robins (Ga.) High, has committed to the Gamecocks, according to the BigSpur.com. That gives the program ten commitments.

*Clemson also grabbed an O-Line commitment, from 6-foot-5, 270-pound Reid Webster of Etowah High in Woodstock, Ga. The kid can apparently play; his other finalists were Miami and Florida.

Webster said Clemson’s recent camp helped him reach a decision. "It just felt right," he said. “It's where I wanted to play. The new (athletics) facility they are getting is going to be sick.”

Webster, the Tigers’ seventh commitment, is expected to play tackle.

--Stan Olson

If you hear of a commitment, an offer or a visit, email me at
solson@charlotteobserver.com

No comments: