Friday, October 30, 2009

Appalachian State grabs OL from ACC schools

The Mountaineers have picked up the commitment of offensive tackle Kalan Jones of Habersham Central High in Mt. Airy, Ga. And in doing so, the Apps may have bested three ACC schools.

Jones told MountaineerIllustrated.com that Georgia Tech, Clemson and Wake Forest had all been recruiting him seriously, although none had offered yet.

“I actually had a couple visits for games scheduled with (Georgia Tech),” he said. “After I committed I thought about it and decided I wouldn't do that and go to those games. That just wouldn't be the right thing to do.

Wake Forest was recruiting me heavily, and Clemson was as well.”

Jones is 6-foot-4 and 275 pounds. He committed after a recent recruiting trip to Boone and a successful sitdown with head coach Jerry Moore, saying that he simply fell in love with the place.

“I got a call from coach (John) Holt on the Monday after my visit, and he told me they were offering," Jones said. “I said 'yes, I want to come to Appalachian State' right on the spot. His reaction was like, 'seriously?' He was shocked. He didn't expect me to accept right then.”

Nice catch for the Mountaineers, and the second quality lineman to commit. ASU also has landed 6-2, 275-pound Graham Fisher of Waynesville Tuscola. Sounds like the program isn’t returning to earth anytime soon.

--Stan Olson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Apps!!

Anonymous said...

Big pick up Apps! A winning tradition, fan support and top notch facilities will help you snag a player of this caliber every one in a while....GO NEERS!!