Monday, October 12, 2009

East Meck QB could wind up playing baseball

Olen Little is a solid prep QB at East, strong-armed and 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds. He'll eventually receive some college football scholarship offers, but he's also a big-time pitching prospect and hasn't decided which way to go.

He was knocked out of East's game with Butler Friday night by a rib-bruising sack, but took a Saturday baseball visit to Limestone College anyway.

"I was pretty sore Saturday morning but had to get up to take the SAT," Little told me in a post-trip email. "Afterwards I traveled to Limestone and threw a bullpen (session) for their pitching coach, Mike Ranson. I did not hit 90 mph on the gun this time, but he was not expecting that with me devoting this fall to football.

"He had seen a video clip on YouTube of our game at Myers Park and even though we lost, he saw pitching potential in my quarterback throws. As a result, he did make me an offer and is going to do his best to get me to commit to Limestone."

Western Carolina, Presbyterian and Catawba are the primary schools currently looking at Little for football, and he is considering playing both sports in college.

-- Stan Olson

No comments: