Friday, October 30, 2009

ECU Pirates on the trail of Charlotte punter Tart

Punters are not always a high priority on universities’ football recruiting lists, but Mallard Creek High’s Michael Tart appears to be an exception to the rule as far as East Carolina is concerned.

The Pirates, according to Tart, have him No.1 on their board for the position, and are staying in regular touch.

“They invited me to their first game of the season against Appalachian State and I took an unofficial visit down there,” he said in a recent email. “…They have been calling me once a week for about a month and a half, and have now seen my mid-season highlight tape. They liked it enough to come see me play in person against North Mecklenburg.”

Tart, a 6-foot-1, 175-pound senior, has been acknowledged as one of the state’s leading punters since his junior year. He has a career net punting average of over 40 yards a kick, meaning his efforts are rarely returned.

--Stan Olson

Got recruiting news? Pop it to me at solson@charlotteobserver.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that is awesome Stan. But you still owe me 12 beers from Chicago several years ago

Anonymous said...

That sounds familiar, actually...