Friday, September 4, 2009

Gamecocks extend verbal offer to WR Tehvyn Brantley

Tehvyn Brantley of Durham Mt. Zion, widely believed to be a lock to accept a Tar Heel scholarship offer, said last night that he has received a verbal offer from South Carolina, and that he plans to take official visits to both North and South Carolina, as well as Wyoming.

“I’m still strong with North Carolina,” he said. “They were the first major school to offer me, and they’re still my No.1 school. I just think I would enjoy taking some visits.”

Brantley also had a few words for Concord First Assembly’s Brandon Stegall, who got considerable attention for allowing him no receptions in First Assembly’s 26-0 victory over Mt. Zion last week.

“(Stegall) did a good job, and I told him that after the game,” Brantley said. “But he had a lot of help. They had a safety over the top on me (meaning that he was double-teamed) the whole game, and on some of our quick stuff, they even had a linebacker sliding over to help.

“I don’t call that locking me down by one guy; I call that giving me respect.”

Stegall did attract attention with his performance, in which he moved from his regular safety spot to cornerback to take on Brantley. And now the pair could eventually wind up as teammates—Stegall has been invited to come to Chapel Hill for an unofficial visit this weekend.

--Stan Olson

No comments: