Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Clemson kicks SEC powers again with CB

Cornerback Garry Peters of Heritage High in Conyers (Ga.), has picked Clemson over Alabama, continuing a remarkable roll for the Tigers.

Lately, Clemson has been beating the biggest names in the SEC for top players.

Peters, who is 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds, also had offers from Auburn and Tennessee, among others.

“It's a weight lifted off my shoulders and now I can focus on my senior season," Peters told The State Newspaper. “It's like a shoe that fit perfectly. My family loved Clemson, my coaches loved it and all the coaches at Clemson felt just like my coaches in high school.

“It's a family atmosphere. And I can play early but it all depends on me. I'd like to play both ways, but we'll see.”

Peters is also a wide receiver, but most see his college role as that of a big, shutdown cornerback.

Among area schools, East Carolina and North Carolina had also offered Peters scholarships.

He is Clemson’s 15th commitment overall and seventh in the past ten days.

--Stan Olson

If you know of any commitments, offers or visits, please email me at
solson@charlotteobserver.com.

No comments: