Monday, November 30, 2009

Tar Heels swipe early Duke recruit Lipford

Long-time Duke commitment and OLB Darius Lipford of Lenoir Hibriten, who had been wavering in his pledge to the Blue Devils for some time, made it official over the past week, telling North Carolina coach Butch Davis he was switching to the Tar Heels and sending the Duke staff an email to that effect.

While Hibriten coach Chuck Cannon said, “I don’t know anything about it; I stay out of that stuff,” Lipford confirmed it to InsideCarolina.com.

“I had been thinking about it for the last three months, pretty much, on and off,” Lipford said. “(I've been) trying to figure out what school I like better. Pretty much, I came to the conclusion that Carolina seemed like a better fit for me.”

Lipford, who is 6-foot-3 and 204 pounds with 4.6 speed, had also been considering taking official visits to Clemson, South Carolina and Virginia.

He says now that he’ll take his official to Chapel Hill and no others.

“I had been thinking about it for the last three months, pretty much, on and off," Lipford said. “(I've been) trying to figure out what school I like better. Pretty much, I came to the conclusion that Carolina seemed like a better fit for me.”

--Stan Olson

3 comments:

The Reid said...

Basically, what Lipford is saying is that he'd rather be a backup for the Tar Heels than be a starter for the Dukies.

Anonymous said...

He will get playing time,he is a absolute beast on the playing field.Made a wise choice.

Anonymous said...

A 204 pound linebacker? That will strike fear in the rest of the ACC.